Photos courtesy Marisa Kinney Photography -
“People say ‘if you build it, they will come.’ I don’t believe it. You’ll know when you need to expand, and your employees and customers will tell you too,” says Jenny Carricato, owner of Jenny’s Salon in Mechanicsburg, Cumberland County, PA.
The full-service hair, nail and beauty salon first opened in 2011 in the area where Jenny was born and raised. Jenny and her husband purchased the property in 2017, and not long after, it was clear the business needed to upgrade its building and expand to accommodate client demand as well as the needs of 23 employees.
Now with the help of an SBA 504 Debt Refinance with Expansion Program loan, Jenny’s Salon is transformed. The photos below, as well as the numbers, say it all. Says Jenny, “What’s my next step? Maybe Jenny’s Salon 2!”
By the numbers:
- Jenny’s Salon more than doubled from 2,500 square feet to 6,000 square feet.
- Working with Seedcopa, Jenny acquired an SBA 504 to refinance existing debt AND finance building improvements, furniture/fixtures and closing costs.
- Univest was the partner bank, financing 42%. SBA covered 40% of project costs.
- Borrower injected 18% with a combination of cash and equity in the already-owned real estate.
- SBA 504 loan interest rate was locked in at 2.471% in December of 2020!
- The salon went from 13 to 27 hair stations and added 2 more work areas.
- Staff has grown from 23 employees to 40, with the salon looking to hire 4-6 more stylists.
Tour the Transformation:
“The success of Jenny’s Salon is due solely to its employees. My role in the salon is very minor,” says Jenny. “I am extremely blessed to work with such a talented group. Not only are they highly skilled at their craft, they are good people. People you want at your dinner table on a Sunday night.”